16 February 2011

Composition Companion

Lately, i feel that i am 'selling' more on my blog rather than updating on my crafts it seems.

Anyway, here's another 'advertorial' - for my dear sis-in-law.. she didnt ask for it but i am just being a busybody as usual and told her i will do it :D

She has a tuition centre, Smartz Kidz, at Bedok North. And one of her tutors wrote a book aimed at helping primary school kids write better compositions. When I saw it, it brought back memories of my primary school days - my tutor back then, Mrs Yee, who taught me little composition tricks similar to what this book now offers. It helped me alot back then with my compositions - made it more flowery.
The book, Composition Companion, is written by Helena Paterson. She is also one of the tutors at Smartz Kidz. She's an amazing ang moh tutor from Scotland ( i think ) who has great passion in teaching and kids.
A peek into the book. It basically gives you nice flowery sentences for writing compositions. It not only adds "flavor" to the writing, but also contributes to the word count.
It also gives gives list of words u can use instead of the same old words. Example: instead of using [he said], you could replace with [he exclaimed] [he argued] [ he rebuked] - gives more emotion to the writing.

I feel its a very useful book. Alternatively, you could create a similar concept one for your kids to flip but for the lazy ones, this is good. :D Only $10 - cheap cheap!

No comments: